It seems very likely that you may be hitting the maximum number of unauthen=
ticated connections. I believe the default is 10. Anytime someone has con=
nected, but has not yet fully authenticated, they are in this bucket. This=
can really show up on publically available SSH daemons - perhaps your conn=
ections are getting chewed up by someone trying to brute-force your passwor=
ds.

Another possibility (sorry, can recall exact versions where this effected i=
t) is a bug I ran into where connections that exited too quickly also resul=
ted in a similar situation. Look at the output of ps and see if you have =
a bunch of defunct SSH processes laying around. I ran into this on some of=
our Debian Sarge hosts, where I was doing a simple ssh 'cat /proc/loadavg'=
for monitoring. I didn't dig too much into it, but if you google around y=
ou should be able to find something there. An upgrade got around this in o=
ur case.