On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Leroy Tennison wrote:

> I've heard of passive ftp but this is new to me. I searched the Web for
> 'passive sftp' and got 32 hits total of which only a few applied and none of
> which explained anything.
>
> Is there such a thing? If so, what are it's features and
> characteristics? The comment came from a vendor in the context of
> "keeps sftp from prompting for a password" which I had associated with
> user keys. Is the vendor confused or do they know something I don't?

In the FTP protocol, "passive" means that only one connection is
established, originating in the client. All trafic goes over this
connection. (In non-passive FTP, the server opens a second channel back to
the client.)

No such differentiation exists in SFTP. There is only one connection.

The vendor may be using "passive" in a different sense, but I don't think
it is a widely accepted usage.

Regards,
.....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
fax: (US) 503-624-0760
web: http://www.anzio.com
street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
Portland, OR 97223 USA