Nadav Har'El wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote about "Re: [openssh] Re: Frequent "Connection reset by peer"":
>> I ran what you said, and the first one ran for about
>> 2 minutes and then :
>> Connection to closed by remote host.
>> Connection to closed.
>> And the 2nd time about 20 seconds before the same.

> If I understood correctly, what you ran just opened a connection, but passed
> no data for two minutes. Is it possible that your router simply disconnects
> inactive TCP connections after two minutes, in the pretext of saving memory,
> guard against DOS attacks, or who knows what?

Good point, and that reminds me: another thing to check for,
particularly if you have links with differing MTUs, is fragmentation

A dead giveaway for this problem is if you see a non-zero and increasing
number in the SendQ column in the "netstat" output for the SSH
connection (on either server or client end of the connection).

Darren Tucker (dtucker at
usually comes from bad judgement.
openssh-unix-dev mailing list