I have been trying to compile OpenSSH_4.7p1 for OS/390 and got really stuck=
.. IBM released a build of v3.8.1p1 several years ago, but I do not know whe=
ther anyone else has ever managed to compile it for OS/390 or OS/z.

The first problem is that the build apparently performs ssh transport excha=
nge using EBCDIC character encoding instead of ASCII (which breaks RFC 4253=
) and I am not sure how to do the conversion properly so that it will not c=
orrupt truely binary data.

The second problem is that connection fails even for ssh client and deamon =
that belong to the same build. Here is the output of sshd (the client has r=
eceived SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT and is running dispatch_run):

debug1: attempt 0 failures 0
debug3: mm_getpwnamallow entering
debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 6
debug3: mm_getpwnamallow: waiting for MONITOR_ANS_PWNAM
debug3: mm_request_receive_expect entering: type 7
debug3: mm_request_receive entering
debug3: monitor_read: checking request 6
debug3: mm_answer_pwnamallow
debug3: Trying to reverse map address 10.55.27.21.
debug2: parse_server_config: config reprocess config len 209
debug3: mm_answer_pwnamallow: sending MONITOR_ANS_PWNAM: 1
debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 7
debug2: monitor_read: 6 used once, disabling now
debug3: mm_request_receive entering
mm_getpwnamallow: option block size mismatch

It appears that some of the debugging messages are coming from the parent t=
hread and some from the child thread. All I can add is that the buffer "m" =
in mm_getpwnamallow() has alloc=3D32768, offset=3D52, end=3D10055 and also =
that buffer_get_string() returns len=3D7, which is rather different from si=
zeof(*newopts)=3D9988, indeed. I am really lost here and cannot figure out =
what is wrong.

Can anybody advise me on how to fix it or perhaps there is already a patch?

Thanks,
Eugene