The only performance testing I've ever seen was a "max transfer rate"
test. Which lead to deciding the encryption order and discussions about
v2 vs v1 preformance differences. Along with Internet2 testing to find a
better way of gaining preformance on massive pipes.

In both cases I believe the test was pretty much a "dd if=/dev/urandom ..
| ssh '| cat /dev/null'" style testing or transferring of real data.
Timing the time it takes to move XX amount of data then doing the math.

I don't believe anyone has done any testing on the cost of
authentication. Truth of the matter is if it is near instance I doubt
anyone really cares (I sure never have =).

But if you want to test authentication cost a simple "time ssh site
/bin/true" I'm sure would be close enough.. This isn't a realtime event
so what is a few microseconds between friends. =) However, to get true
stats you may want to disable hashing and encryption.

- Ben