Hello,
I am running into an issue attempting to send the USER variable using
OpenSSH 3.9 for both the server and client.

My /etc/ssh/ssh_config contains the SendEnv USER keyword and value, and
debug output confirms it is being sent:

#ssh -v -v -v -2 -l johndoe host5

debug1: Sending env USER = root
debug2: channel 0: request env confirm 0

I also have the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file with AcceptEnv USER.

However, the USER variable doesn't have the correct value on the remote
machine, it has the value of johndoe (USER = johndoe):

debug1: Sending env USER = root
debug2: channel 0: request env confirm 0
debug3: Ignored env LS_COLORS
debug3: Ignored env KDEDIR
debug3: Ignored env MAIL
debug3: Ignored env PATH
debug3: Ignored env INPUTRC
debug3: Ignored env PWD
debug3: Ignored env LANG
debug3: Ignored env SSH_ASKPASS
debug3: Ignored env SHLVL
debug3: Ignored env HOME
debug3: Ignored env LOGNAME
debug3: Ignored env SSH_CONNECTION
debug3: Ignored env LESSOPEN
debug3: Ignored env NIS_PATH
debug3: Ignored env G_BROKEN_FILENAMES
debug3: Ignored env _
debug3: Ignored env OLDPWD
debug2: channel 0: request shell confirm 0
debug2: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: callback done
debug2: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072

SunOS host5 5.6 Generic_105181-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

Environment:
USER=johndoe

Is the USER variable read only? What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Eric