On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:58:15PM -0600, Larry Becke wrote:
> Thanks to J.P. I now have a better understanding of how scp really
> works.

Unfortunately not good enough I think. There was a post recently
about the protcol internals. Give it a read and I think you'll also
consider the problem I mentioned.

> I haven't uncovered any dark secrets, or unintended capabilities, I
> just prevented scp from sending the proper commands via ssh to the
> remote server.

Yes, but there are also commands passed between the two scp programs.
Part of them are filenames and directories. I would investigate
whether they are always restricted to the -t directory. I doubt it.

> In essence, I gave scp a lobotomy or short-circuit.
>
> Either way, it's useful and gives me the desired effect.

If you're happy that's good. But please do note that there may be a
trivial way out of this "restriction."

//Peter