> > It's easy enough to fix, if you are willing to recompile the
> > sftp-server binary.
> >

> Thanks Miklos. I guess arbitrarily increasing the number of handles is
> not a good long term fix. It is hard to guesstimate how many clients
> can be supported through a single sshfs mounted file system if there
> is a fundamental file handle limit in sftp-server. Making it 1000 is
> going to fail somewhere else down the line. Is that correct?

That depends on how long these files are kept open. But in theory
yes, that could happen.

Ideally sftp-server should allocate the space for handles dynamically,
so a hardcoded limit wouldn't be needed. There are still various
limits on the number open files, but those can easily be adjusted by
the sysadmin.

Miklos