Rick Jones wrote:
> Darren Tucker wrote:
>> Rick Jones wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> Just general conservativeness would seem to suggest that until a
>>> broader number of platforms can be covered, it might not be time to
>>> become the default.

>> I should have said "enabled by default if the compiler supports it".
>> If the compiler doesn't, configure continues to behave as before.

> I inferred that. I'm just thinking that if there isn't certainty of it
> being sufficiently neutral on a broad swath of platforms, even if the
> compiler supports it it might be best to leave things be for the moment.

Is there any evidence or documentation indicating that it actually
causes breakage anywhere? If not I would tend to enable for the
compilers that support it.

I have built my AIX packages with the flag for the last couple of years
without problems, so it's certainly not i386-only.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.