I've just run across this problem too using Solaris openssh-4.4p1.
I have learned that using 'trap' is no help because the spawned shell
never receives any signal or Ctrl-C.

Its parent sshd detects the end of the network connection=20
and abandons the spawned shell without notice.

One work around I found is to use 'ssh -t' to invoke the remote command.
This forces the spawned shell to have a controlling terminal.
Invoked this way, the remote command is correctly interrupted=20
and terminated as you would like.

This doesn't seem like the correct behavior.=20
With or without a controlling terminal,=20
the remote command should be terminated.
I've submitted this question to openssh-unix-dev.

Mark Glemboski

--- begin included message ---
an ssh session spawns a remote shell, which is hopefully Bash. Have you
tried using traps to mop up your application on exit rather than letting

it be orphaned to init?

trap "kill someprocess" SIGNAL1 SIGNAL2 etc...

see man bash for details... or whatever your shell's man page is.

-h

Hari Sekhon