On 2007-11-05 06:02, James Supancic wrote:
> About /dev, it contains everything that the working systems do (I
> created it with cp -a /dev/* ./initird_mnt/dev/).... all the other
> systems use udev (rather than static nodes), is udev needed for pty
> support? Is there anyway to get openssh to use pttys when udev is not
> in use?

It would help if you would state what operating system you are using.

>From what you said earlier, I'm guessing you need to have the /dev/ptmx

device present and mount the devpts filesystem on /dev/pts. Have you
done both of these things?

Maybe running sshd in the foreground with verbose logging would give you
some additional information, or [sk]tracing it and watching for access
to pty-related devices, including /dev/ptmx.

--
Jefferson Ogata
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT)