I understand that that is not how scp works today. =

I'm suggesting that we make a minor change to how it works. Here's the unde=
rlying reason why I think this is a good idea. The efforts required to lock=
down todays systems with their myriad of access features is not a trivial =
task. I'm not suggesting this will make it trivial to completely secure a =
system. I am suggesting this will make it trivial to secure one subset of =
the system. That subset being scp. Using chroot'd environments doesn't rea=
lly work (or at least they were never intended to be used as a security too=
l) without tons of effort, and even then, they tend to break rapidly with s=
imple system/software updates. sftp at the present time, gives access to to=
o many additional commands / features that are unnecessary for a simple fil=
e transfer. scp would fit the bill nicely, with one minor change. Let's for=
get about translating ../ to something else. Given the "-T" instead of "-t"=
startup parameter, a simple walk through the parameters passed by the scp =
client spawning the scp server should do the following:Prefix the remote pa=
th with "./", so that remhost:/path/to/file becomes remhost:.//path/to/file=
..If the remote path contains "../" anywhere, error out. With this change, w=
e can forget about scp-only or chroot'd environments and all the convoluted=
mess required to make that work. Either spawn scp with the "-T" via a publ=
ic key authentication command entry, or the sshd_config file "UseSCPPathLoc=
k=3DYes". Through this option, we get a secure method of transfering files =
without much effort. Combine this with pub-key authentication, and command=
=3D parameters, you can control where any user places their files if outsid=
e of their home directories. Simple user permissions on the remote server =
control whether or not writes are allowed, or just reads. A very simple cha=
nge could open a whole lot of opportunity for usage expansion. If sftp-serv=
er had this same option, then that might work, however, I haven't seen that=
it does - yet there would seem to me to be a lot more changes required to =
implement the same idea within sftp-server as it would within scp.