I have a core 4 box that has behaved admirably for a long time. I just
added an F7 box where SE is disabled.

Here's my problem. On the F7 box, I just happen to have a half dozen files
that are about 8Gig. When I try to transfer a file using scp to the FC7
box ssh, the F7 box just crashes. Sometimes it crashes around 300M,
sometimes 300M, my latest died at 567M.

F7 happens to have two NICs and the crash happens regardless of which NIC
I use. (I tried both hoping that it might be a hardware problem, but I
won't buy that both are bad.) Smaller transfers and regular network
traffic work just fine. There is nothing in syslog on either side when it
happens. There's no controlled kernel dump, F7 just stops dead. The client
on both sides is not root.

The version of ssh on FC4 is

openssh-4.2p1-fc4.10
openssh-clients-4.2p1-fc4.10
openssh-server-4.2p1-fc4.10
openssh-askpass-4.2p1-fc4.10
openssh-askpass-gnome-4.2p1-fc4.10

The version of the F7 box are

openssh-4.5p1-6.fc7
openssh-server-4.5p1-6.fc7
openssh-clients-4.5p1-6.fc7
openssh-askpass-4.5p1-6.fc7

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

--
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have .0.
steveo at syslang.net