Hi,
all I wanted was to force SSHd to accept root logins only from localhost.
More detailed description:
We have SSH keys stored on smart cards and we use them to login as root
to our servers. Now we use PermitRoot without-password, which enables us
to control which smartcard can log on as root via
/root/.ssh/authorized_keys. (I am planning to move this to LDAP but it
is another story). I was just trying to secure it a little bit more as
user would need to login as nonroot user and then do ssh root@localhost.
I thought that it will be like 5 minutes to setup but I've run into
described SSHD strange behavior regarding AllowedUsers.
I do not want sudo or su as they can not use SSH key infrastructure and
agent forwarding. But for clarification I can say that I am looking for
su which could authenticate me with my SSH key instead of password.
I know that root logging with key on smartcard via network is secure
enough (and sufficient enough for us). I also know that I could use
pam_wheel, but what I am asking is why does SSHd behave so strangely.
Maybe there is some reason and I just do not see it...

Radek