Hi,

I have a remote worker who uses SSH tunneling to connect into the
office while on the road. He is running Windows with PuTTY connecting to
a Linux OpenSSH server. He has been reporting that it is extremely
unstable and that the connection drops. However, I and a colleague of
mine use this method regularly and have had no problems.

I suspect that this is simply due to his use of a 3G card which has a
very slow dial-up speed connection, whereas myself and my colleague have
broadband (actually it does drop more when my internet pipe is flooded).

Is there anything I can do to make the connection more tolerant and not
drop?

Or perhaps any advice for further isolating this (bearing in mind the
remote worker is not technical and I don't have access to the laptop at
the times he's on the road...)

This same remote worker was previously using an ipsec vpn with 3des and
had no problems so I suspect that 3des is more forgiving that the ssh
protocol(s) being used for cryptography, although I am aware that ssh
can use several different crypto algorithms, and reading the man page
again it seems that 3des is the default on linux but PuTTY seems to
default to AES first so perhaps it is AES being less forgiving that 3des?

Does anyone know more about the actual AES and 3DES protocol internals,
is AES less tolerant to timing issues because of it's stronger
cryptography (sort of like Kerberos system times being used in the
crypto algorithm)?

Any ideas or feedback on this issue?

Thanks

-h