For X, ssh should setup the whole thing itself. It actually makes a
virtual X server
on the server side and proxies things across, taking care of
authentication issues.
Your $DISPLAY would be something like "localhost:10".

Use the "-X" option.

For other port forwarding, your syntax is correct. You just need to
have whatever
program connect to localhost, not your client machine.

--
And, did Galoka think the Ulus were too ugly to save?
-Centauri