If you need to download/upload files,I think you can do that just with
scp, you can remove ftp and use just scp, rhe problem is that no much
people is familiarized with scp ( I don't know why!! Is a very common
tool), Otherwise, why don't you chech the new feature in Openssh sftp,
it is included in the new version.

http://www.openssh.com/txt/release-4.4