You need something like this:
http://www.padl.com/OSS/nss_ldap.html

But for TACACS. The problem is, TACACS is an authentication protocol, not
a diretory lookup protocol.

Basically, the user information needs to be able to be looked up at anytime.
Seperate from user authentication.

Think, when I do "ls -l" what translates the UID on the files into an
account name?

This is why, even for Microsoft ADS, they have Kerberos for
authentication and LDAP
for user accounts and pretty much everything else.

Even for Kerberos, you can authenticate, but all other account
information needs to
be available to the machine. So, for Kerberos installs, you don't
need the /etc/shadow
file, but you still need the /etc/passwd file. Unless you locate the
/etc/passwd
information somewhere else, where it is readily availabe, ie. NIS or LDAP.

--
And, did Guloka think the Ulus were too ugly to save?
-Centauri