Client: OpenSSH_4.2p1 Debian-7ubuntu3, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
Server: OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian-8.sarge.4, OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004

I am using the Banner option in my sshd_config, but some scripts see the banner and interpret it
as an error.

How can I -- on the client side -- silence the banner? I don't want to silence the banner for
everyone, I just want to silence it on the client for a few scripts.

For example, I have a script that's something like this:
ssh user@server command > good_output.txt

But I want to trap errors.

I currently am doing this:
if ssh user@server command > good_output 2> errors.txt
then
email "Command successful."
else
email "Problem."
email errors.txt
fi

But that traps the SSH banner and I always get "Problem" even when the command was successful.

If I just wanted to silence the banner, I would do something like this:
ssh user@server command > good_output.txt 2> /dev/null

But that doesn't work here because I want any errors reported back to me.

I tried this:
ssh user@server "command 2>&1" > good_output.txt 2> /dev/null

But that doesn't work for me because errors get mixed with good output.

Dunno what to do.

CD

Are you good enough?
TenThousandDollarOffer.com