I use ssh (OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.7j on Gentoo Linux kernel 2.6.15) to run
a command on a remote machine (same version) that doesn't terminate without
an explicit kill. Is it possible to send this signal through ssh without
using a login shell? Ideally, I'd be able to run "ssh server command," and
then send SIGHUP to to the ssh process, which would result in it sending some
signal to the command. However, the current behavior is that command is left
running while ssh terminates. Alternatively, is it possible to tell ssh to
send a signal to a command it is running on a remote server?

I searched google and saw that there has been some discussion of similar
issues in the past, but am not clear how/if it was resolved. Thanks a lot
for the help,

Ryan