On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 04:55:23PM -0400, Joshua Kordani wrote:
> Sorry about that. Apparantly insead of renaming the libs from
> libcrypto.0.9.7 to 0.9.8, it seems like the scheme has changed to
> just simply be libcrypto.a, I was expecting to find *.0.9.7 and
> 0.9.8 libs in the same directory and just delete the old ones, but
> the name change had me fooled.

I think you're a bit confused about how the linker works. I'm not
familiar with your platform specifically, so I'll address the generic
case.

When the linker (ld) is told to link with a certain library by using
the -l_library_ flag, it searches a set of paths for a set of files.
The first file that it finds is the one it will use.

The set of paths includes a static set that's built into the linker
(usually just /usr/lib, but possibly /usr/local/lib as well -- see the
documentation!) as well as any additional paths that are specified with
-L_path_ flags when the linker is invoked. So, if the linker is invoked
with

ld ... -L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/openssl/lib -lssl

then it will search the following directories:

/usr/local/lib
/opt/openssl/lib
/usr/lib

probably in that order. (Again, see the documentation for details.)

The file(s) it will look for are somewhat platform specific, because
the naming conventions for shared libraries differ from one platform to
another. But you've provided a handy list of filenames below:

> dir. So to summarize:
> I Deleted the following from /usr/lib:
> libcryto.0.9.7.dylib
> libcrypto.0.9.dylib
> libcrypto.dylib
> libcrypto.a

Aha! It looks like your platform uses "libfoo.dylib" for shared libraries.
So chances are, your linker will be searching for files of the form

libfoo.dylib
libfoo.a

when it's given the -lfoo flag.

> Did I get it right here? or what.

Without seeing what arguments you gave to ./configure and what the output
of the linker was (hint: check config.log), it's hard to say whether you
got it "right". But if it worked, I guess that's a good sign.

If your platform is anything like the ones I'm familiar with, then
the libfoo.dylib "file" is actually a symlink to a versioned shared
library. (And libcrypto.0.9.dylib was probably also a symlink to
libcryto.0.9.7.dylib -- too bad you didn't include "ls -l" output.)

With that in mind, you probably should have *kept* the libcrypto.0.9.7
library in place, so that any programs linked against it could still use
it. Then, simply remove the libcrypto.a (static library) and the
libcrypto.dylib (symlink to the most recent dynamic library), and make
/usr/lib/libcrypto.dylib a symlink to wherever your more recent version
of libcrypto.0.x.y.dylib was.

If you have /usr/lib/libcrypto.a but not /usr/lib/libcrypto.dylib -- and
if your link command doesn't pass any -L flags to find libcrypto.dylib
anywhere else on the system -- then you're going to be building a copy
of OpenSSH with libcrypto statically linked instead of dynamically linked.
This may or may not be what you want....