Sorry about that. Apparantly insead of renaming the libs from
libcrypto.0.9.7 to 0.9.8, it seems like the scheme has changed to
just simply be libcrypto.a, I was expecting to find *.0.9.7 and
0.9.8 libs in the same directory and just delete the old ones, but
the name change had me fooled. also of note, the findssl.sh script
didn't locate those, even though all of them were in the /usr/lib
dir. So to summarize:
I Deleted the following from /usr/lib:
libcryto.0.9.7.dylib
libcrypto.0.9.dylib
libcrypto.dylib
libcrypto.a

And then copied the libcrypto.a from my newly installed openssl
directory into /usr/lib

I didn't touch libssl.0.9.7.dylib, and make didnt complain, so whatever.

Did I get it right here? or what.

this is openssh-4.3p2 and openssl-0.9.8b on mac osx 10.4.6 (ppc)

Josh