EJG wrote:
> On Debian Linux, kernel linux-image-2.6.15-1-486,
> after I donload the file: openssh-4.3p2.tar.gz, untar
> this and then execute ./configure
> After some lines, the proccess stop with this msg:
> checking for library containing basename... none
> required
> checking for deflate in -lz... no
> configure: error: *** zlib missing - please install
> first or check config.log ***
>
> I installed zlib package, with apt-get install, but
> dont solve the problem.

I suspect you only installed the zlib runtime, if so you also need the
zlib development package (probably "zlib1g-dev", depending on you
version on Debian).

Similarly, you will also need the "libssl-dev" package for OpenSSL if
you don't have it already.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.