Hiya,

Anyone had a similar problem to the one we are having:
We have just implemented Openssh (v3.9p1) on a Solaris 8 box and have user
names greater than 8 characters. When the password expires we get the
following error at login:

ssh sol8box
abcdefghijkl@sol8box's password:
Last login: Mon Jun 12 14:20:06 2006 from xxxx.xxx.xx
Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic Patch October 2001
WARNING: Your password has expired.
You must change your password now and login again!
passwd: Changing password for abcdefgh
passwd(SYSTEM): abcdefgh does not exist
Permission denied
Connection to sol8box closed.

Have tried Sun support but they say that user names greater than 8
characters are not supported in Solaris. From Solaris 9 ssh comes bundled
in and the problem does not occur. We have the same problem on Solaris 2.6
and 2.7 boxes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Colum.

Colum Scriven

Renfrewshire Council Website - http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

Renfrewshire Council may, in accordance with the Telecommunications(Lawful Business Practice) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000, intercept e-mail messages for the purpose of monitoring or keeping a record of communications on the Council's system. If a message contains inappropriate dialogue it will automatically be intercepted by the Council's Internal Audit section who will decide whether or not the e-mail should be onwardly transmitted to the intended recipient(s).

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

www.mimesweeper.com