asterix,

*** This is sure a newbie question (not dumb)! I don't know how to set
sshd to prompt for a username but you can define the remote user in
your command. Instead of issuing a command like "ssh remotemachine",
you can use "ssh user@remotemachine" to log on the remote machine as
another user! Is this the answer you're looking for or do you really
need to see a "type the username" prompt?

HTH!

Best regards,

Pablo

Patrick Morris escreveu:

This is most likely because your SSH client is sending a username.