All,

Hi, this is probably a dumb newbie question but I searched all over and
can not find an answer.
I have sshd set up on my server, and all I want is just username/password
authentication, but all I can seem to get when I log on from another
computer is a password prompt. And it will only accept the root password
(with PermitRootLogin yes, if set to no it will not work - and I don't want
root to be able to log on). How to I get the username prompt?

Thanks all, my sshd.config is below. - John

Port 22
Protocol 2
#AddressFamily any
#ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
#ListenAddress ::

# HostKey for protocol version 1
#HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
#HostKeys for protocol version 2
#HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

# Lifetime and size of ephemeral version 1 server key
#KeyRegenerationInterval 1h
ServerKeyBits 768

# Logging
# obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging
SyslogFacility AUTH
#LogLevel INFO

# Authentication:

LoginGraceTime 2m
PermitRootLogin yes
#StrictModes yes
#MaxAuthTries 6

#RSAAuthentication yes
#PubkeyAuthentication yes
#AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys

# For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
#RhostsRSAAuthentication no
# similar for protocol version 2
#HostbasedAuthentication no
# Change to yes if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
# RhostsRSAAuthentication and HostbasedAuthentication
#IgnoreUserKnownHosts no
# Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
#IgnoreRhosts yes

# Change to yes to enable built-in password authentication.
PasswordAuthentication yes
PermitEmptyPasswords no

# Change to no to disable PAM authentication
ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes

# Kerberos options
#KerberosAuthentication no
#KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
#KerberosTicketCleanup yes
#KerberosGetAFSToken no

# GSSAPI options
#GSSAPIAuthentication no
#GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes

UsePAM yes

#AllowTcpForwarding yes
#GatewayPorts no

AllowUsers asterix, bro, root

#X11Forwarding yes
#X11DisplayOffset 10
#X11UseLocalhost yes
#PrintMotd yes
#PrintLastLog yes
#TCPKeepAlive yes
#UseLogin yes
#UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
#PermitUserEnvironment no
#Compression delayed
#ClientAliveInterval 0
#ClientAliveCountMax 3
#UseDNS yes
#PidFile /var/run/sshd.pid
#MaxStartups 10

# no default banner path
#Banner /some/path

# override default of no subsystems
Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/sftp-server
Sent from the SSH (Secure Shell) forum at Nabble.com.