-----Original Message-----

From: "Oren Shemesh (oshemesh)"
Subj: Configuring SSH to use our own CLI application in an embedded Linux system
Date: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:45 am
Size: 2K

Configuring SSH to use our own CLI application in an embedded Linux system
Hello,
I have a question about configuring SSH to connect to a specific CLI application. This is for an Embedded Linux project.
A telnet server can be configured to run a given application (By default it is 'login', but you can set it to whatever you want).
I could not find any way to configure OpenSSH in such a manner. All I could find is a configuration flag 'UseLogin' which tells it to run login, but it is not sufficient to what I want.
I want SSH to:
1. Always run my CLI application, and ignore any 'command' that the client wanted to run.
2. Not check the user home directory for anything. My CLI application will do the authentication using a simple user-name + password scheme against a local user DB (The users in that DB are NOT Linux accounts).
3. Since the SSH client asks the user for a user-name before even connecting to the SSH server, and it passes this user-name to the SSH server, I want the SSH server to pass this user-name to my CLI application so that the user will not have to type the user-name again for my CLI application.
Basically, I want SSH to encrypt the traffic for protection against eavesdropping, but I do not want it's client-authentication features (Since the logged-in users do not exist as Linux accounts anyway).
I would imagine that many embedded Linux systems with SSH support would want to use SSH this way, yet I could not find any method of configuring OpenSSH to function in such a way. Maybe I need to tweak the OpenSSH sources ? Use a different SSH solution (i.e. not OpenSSH) ? What do other Embedded-linux systems do ?
Thanks a lot, Oren.

--- message truncated ---