Hello;

I have an Internet-connected server running SuSE 9.3 with OpenSSH v =
4.3_p2
with OpenSSL 0.9.8a and zlib v 1.2.3. OpenSSH was configured as follows:

# ./configure --with-ssl-dir=3D/usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl
--with-libs=3D-ldl
=A0=A0=A0=A0 #make
=A0=A0=A0=A0 #make install

I have a bunch of user accounts created, all of which are running =
chrooted
with default user shell being rssh-2.3.2. I am using SFTP protocol for =
file
transfer. I have another server, configured exactly the same way, =
located on
a LAN. I successfully tested the local server with a file transfer of up =
25 GB. When I transfer a file to the remote server, however, the =
transfer is
prematurely terminated. The only difference that I see is the time it =
takes
to transfer a file on a LAN versus over the Internet. When I transfer a =
file
to the remote server, after about 4 hrs or so and 2 GB of data (the time =
and
volume may vary) I get an error message of a failed file transfer. The
connection stays open but the file transfer failed. Also, all along I =
have
an SSH connection opened using PuTTy. That connection stays opened as =
well.
It is only a file transfer that fails. This makes me feel that it is not =
the
network. I don=92t know if this is a bug in the code of if I have to =
recompile
sshd with different directives. But I looked through the help-files and =
didn=92t find anything that would let me specify, during configuration, =
large file transfer. Thank you for any consideration.

Best regards...
=A0
Robert Nawrocki
Engineer / IT