Gian and Raz, thank you for your suggestions.

Gian, I'm able to logon with PreferredAuthentications=3Dpassword. =
However,
after I send my public key, I still can't make a connection:

[root@xxx2 ~]# cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub | ssh -o
PreferredAuthentications=3Dpassword xxx.xxx.xxx 'umask 022; cat
>>~/.ssh/authorized_keys'

root@xxx.xxx.xxx password:=20
[root@xxx2 ~]# ssh xxx.xxx.xxx
Connection closed by xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
[root@xxx2 ~]#

Raz, I think you're on to something, suspecting that there's a problem.
I get this message in /var/log/auth.log when the connection fails:

Mar 21 11:42:20 main sshd[16735]: fatal: buffer_get: trying to get more
bytes 129 than in buffer 36
main:/var/log#

After searching on Google, I found this solution involving improper line
endings in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla...cgi?id=3D64972. Their
solution was to erase the key in question, which I had done previously.
However, I noticed that the key preceding the one in question seemed to
be malformed. It was much longer than the other ssh-rsa keys, and
contained spaces, which the other ones did not. Removing this key solved
the problem. I can now log on using either password or public key.

Thank you all very much for your help and suggestions.

-Kevin Zembower