Did you try "ssh -o PreferredAuthentications=password user@ip"?

Somewhere in your config (or by default), public key is set as the
preferred method of authentication. You may have max retrys set to one,
which would cause a disconnect because after the public key is denied
you have used your one authentication try.

To fix the problem, try one of the following:

Set preferred authentication method to password.
*Increase max authentication trys. (probably easiest)*
Use syntax: "ssh -o PreferredAuthentications=password user@ip" for every
login.

I hope this helps!

--Gian