On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 10:12 -0500, Zembower, Kevin wrote:

> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
> publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
> debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
> debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/identity
> debug1: Offering public key: /root/.ssh/id_rsa
> Connection closed by xx.xx.xx.xx
> [root@xxx .ssh]#
>
> I don't understand why it's trying the publickey method.
>
> On the remote host, I've removed the lines in /root/.ssh/authorized keys
> for the host I'm coming from, and restarted sshd,

Your client is offering a key because your server is indicating a
willingness to accept one (this is controlled by sshd_config, not
authorized_keys).

There's some brokenness here though; it's not clear why the connection
is closing immediately after the public key is offered. It should refuse
it, then move on to the other authorisation methods. A sudden closure
suggests that your server process is aborting (e.g. a segmentation
violation). How confident are you that your server build is reasonable?

- Raz