typically the private key does not have the correct perms, in a unix
world that would be 600. ALso the directory the key is in, .ssh, needs
700 perms. This is just a guess.

A usefull debugging technique, if you root access to the server is to
start and sshd in debug mode on a seperate port, sshd -d -p4444. The
try to sftp to that sshd, -oPort=4444, and see hwat the logging tells you.

my .02

JH