Bryan,

To help clarify the issue a bit further, I consulted with a
colleague of mine (thanks Trevor!) and various man pages, to assemble
the following explanation.

Once the sshd daemon is started it reads its config files and
listens for connection requests. Upon receipt of a connection request,
the daemon forks, creating a new process (child process). (see fork(2))
The child process is an exact copy of the parent process inheriting
several attributes from the parent including it's environment and all
attached shared memory segments (see shmop(2)).

Config files are *NOT* processed for each new connection because
new sessions are simply copies of the currently running "top level"
daemon and it's environment.

When sshd receives a hangup signal, it rereads its configuration
file, by re-running itself. (see sshd(8))

SUMMARY:
It is the responsibility of the "top level" sshd to fork copies
of itself for each connection, therefore, only the "top level" sshd,
needs to be HUP'ed. This will force it to reread the configuration
files. From that point forward, each new child process created, will
then inherit the new environment/configuration while currently
established connections will remain unchanged.

As far as convenience, IMHO, if you don't have remote access to
the console, it's more convenient than physically going to the server
and more secure than enabling telnet.

Dale Foster