Does anyone know why my DISPLAY variable is not getting set? I have
tried looking at the debug messages from

ssh -vv -X user@host

but I haven't seen anything suspicious. xauth is installed in the normal
location and seems to run correctly (although I'm really not familiar
with it). In my sshd_config file, the relevant options are set as:

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
#X11UseLocalHost no
#UseLogin yes

I've spent quite a bit of time googling on this problem and haven't come
up with anything yet. I suspect that it might have something to do with
installing XFree86 on Slackware 9.0 after initial OS installation (using
installpkg *.tgz on the relevant packages). I'm really at a loss for
where to turn.

Server is OpenSSH 3.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a
Client is OpenSSH 4.0p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7f=20

Thanks in advance!