Dave,

Do you have the appropriate audit event in /etc/security/audit_event? It
should have the following entry:

32800:AUE_openssh:OpenSSH login:lo

Prior to the BSM patch being included with OpenSSH, the patch included a
file called show-audit.c that you can compile to help troubleshoot audit
issues. I haven't downloaded 4.x yet, so I don't know if it is included.

Cheers,

Keith