Thank you for the follow up, this works perfectly.

----- Original Message ----
From: William Ahern
To: Clark Menard
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 5:57:35 PM
Subject: Re: Use remote machine environmental variables

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 11:09:43AM -0700, Clark Menard wrote:
> I am having an issue passing a command through ssh which uses an environment variable. I would like the environment variable to be read from the remote host, but it is being read from the local host.
> For instance:
> ssh rhost ls -lm $WWW_HOME

ssh rhost ls -lm \$WWW_HOME

The issue is that your command is being variable interpolated by your local
shell before executing ssh. You want to pass a literal '$WWW_HOME' argument
to ssh (so it can pass it over the ssh channel), so you need to escape it
from the local shell.

- Bill
openssh-unix-dev mailing list