On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:24:19PM +0000, Richard Dickens wrote:
> We are using OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004 on various
> Solaris boxes with PAM and an LDAP server back end.
>
> Recently we have added a requirement for users to have complex
> passwords. The problem is, if a user's password has expired, when they
> log in they are prompted for a new password (good) but if they enter a
> non-complex new password the session is closed rather than reprompting
> them for another try. With some PC clients they see nothing which is
> causing a lot of support calls...

How does 4.2p1 (or better, a current snapshot) behave with regard to this?
There were several changes in that area since 3.9.

> Is they any way to reprompt the user for another password?

Depends on exactly what's going on. Can you post the output from the
client while this is going on? (ssh -vvv yourserver)

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.