Well, that patch won't work with our krb5-config You'll get back an
empty string, since --path is not understood.

That makes me wonder why the need to deduce KRB5ROOT anyway?
How about logic like this, instead:

--with-kerberos5=/some/path
* error unless /some/path/bin/krb5-config exists
* use `/some/path/bin/krb5-config --cflags` etc
--with-kerberos5=yes
* error unless krb5-config found in $PATH
* use `krb5-config --cflags` etc

plus, perhaps:

--with-kerberos5=auto
* if krb5-config found in $PATH
use `krb5-config --cflags` etc

--
David Leonard
Vintela Resource Central software engineer