On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Bryce Nesbitt (mailing list account) wrote:

> I have set /etc/ssh/sshd_config with:
> KeepAlive yes
> ClientAliveInterval 3
>
> However, no KeepAlive type messages seem to be sent. I've verified this
> by looking at the network lights, which don't flicker every 3 seconds.
>
> I am attempting to keep interactive ssh sessions alive longer. If
> don't type anything for about 2 minutes, the sessions close. If I run a
> "idle" script (which just prints to the screen every 30 seconds) the
> sessions stay open. Sessions to a different host stay open, so I don't
> think it is a client problem.

This works on more current versions.
Usefull with sonicwall firewalls.
# turn KeepAlive off and check the client every 5 minutes
# fail after 6 tries (30 minutes)
# should take care of intermintint LAN problems
TCPKeepAlive no
ClientAliveInterval 300
ClientAliveCountMax 6

KeepAlive became TCPKeepAlive at about version 3.8

--
Tim Rice Multitalents (707) 887-1469
tim@multitalents.net