NTP and D-Link DI524 router firewall - NTP

This is a discussion on NTP and D-Link DI524 router firewall - NTP ; Hi group, I have been using the Wintel NTP-package as made available by Meinberg for over a year now, and it has performed flawlessly ... until I installed a new NAT router. ( D-Link DI-524 ). It appears that the ...

  1. NTP and D-Link DI524 router firewall

    Hi group,

    I have been using the Wintel NTP-package as made available by Meinberg
    for over a year now, and it has performed flawlessly ... until I
    installed a new NAT router. ( D-Link DI-524 ).

    It appears that the router firewall only accepts the NTP-reply of the
    *first* server in the list ( I have 8 servers listed ).

    With Ethereal, I can see 8 requests being sent, and only 1 reply coming
    in. The other 7 replies are logged as "unallowed access from
    :123" by the firewall.

    I can solve the problem by unchecking the SPI-option in the router
    configuration. (SPI stands for Stateful Packet Inspection, and is
    supposed to further enhance robustness against outside attacks)

    Has anyone else had the same experience? In my opinion, this is
    definitely a bug in the router firmware...

    --
    Dirk.
    No trees were killed in the creation of this message;

  2. Re: NTP and D-Link DI524 router firewall

    Dirk Claessens wrote:
    > Has anyone else had the same experience? In my opinion, this is
    > definitely a bug in the router firmware...

    Which router? Your answer will give the rest of us a chance to avoid
    that brand.

    Thx, Jan

  3. Re: NTP and D-Link DI524 router firewall

    On 2007-06-21, Jan Ceuleers (81.241.16.40) wrote in
    message <467aca67$0$13858$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>

    > Dirk Claessens wrote:
    >> Has anyone else had the same experience? In my opinion, this is definitely
    >> a bug in the router firmware...

    > Which router? Your answer will give the rest of us a chance to avoid that
    > brand.
    >
    > Thx, Jan

    Uhm... see the header of my posting: D-Link DI-524

    --
    Dirk.
    No trees were killed in the creation of this message;
    however, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
    http://users.pandora.be/dirk.claessens2

+ Reply to Thread