AUTHENTICATION - NTP

This is a discussion on AUTHENTICATION - NTP ; Do you know if exist NTP servers (with authentication) which are free ? Is't usually necessary to pay for having authentication support from ntp servers ?...

  1. AUTHENTICATION

    Do you know if exist NTP servers (with authentication) which are free ?
    Is't usually necessary to pay for having authentication support from ntp
    servers ?

  2. Re: AUTHENTICATION

    On Mar 24, 12:35 pm, "Riccardo"
    wrote:
    > Do you know if exist NTP servers (with authentication) which are free ?
    > Is't usually necessary to pay for having authentication support from ntp
    > servers ?

    I certainly don't know of any 'public' ntp servers that require
    authentication, either free or for a fee.

    Generally, the need for authentication is less when dealing with
    unicast connections, since you are connecting and getting time from a
    well-known time source.

    Where authentication is important, depending on your paranoia, is the
    the broadcast or multicast world, where its possible to have servers
    with bad time, deliberately or accidentally, broadcasting this into a
    local network. Certainly you could charge for auth keys, but what's
    the point?

    If I misunderstood your question, I apologize.

    Roger

  3. Re: AUTHENTICATION

    Riccardo wrote:
    > Do you know if exist NTP servers (with authentication) which are free ?
    > Is't usually necessary to pay for having authentication support from ntp
    > servers ?

    The pool servers are certainly free as are the published list of stratum
    1 and 2 servers with restrictions on use. I don't know of any servers
    that support server authentication that are free and provide you with
    keys to allow you to authenticate them. Since key distribution is an
    Out-Of-Band activity it usually requires manual intervention by someone
    at the server end and should presume will cost some amount of money.

    Danny

  4. Re: AUTHENTICATION

    >>> In article <4606B47E.6080102@ntp.isc.org>, mayer@ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:

    Danny> I don't know of any
    Danny> servers that support server authentication that are free and provide
    Danny> you with keys to allow you to authenticate them.

    Just to be clear, authentication is how a client knows that it is talking
    to the server it expects.

    Authentication is *not* how a server decides if it is OK to talk to a
    client.

  5. Re: AUTHENTICATION

    Harlan Stenn wrote:

    > Danny> I don't know of any
    > Danny> servers that support server authentication that are free and provide
    > Danny> you with keys to allow you to authenticate them.
    >
    > Just to be clear, authentication is how a client knows that it is talking
    > to the server it expects.
    >
    > Authentication is *not* how a server decides if it is OK to talk to a
    > client.

    Correct.