Work anywhere time synch - NTP

This is a discussion on Work anywhere time synch - NTP ; Hi, I am creating an application which needs to know the current UTC time to within a few seconds. I can use NTP to get the time value from a time server and this works ok most of the time. ...

  1. Work anywhere time synch

    Hi,

    I am creating an application which needs to know the current UTC time
    to within a few seconds. I can use NTP to get the time value from a
    time server and this works ok most of the time. However when I run
    within certain networks with restrictive firewalls (typically company
    networks) I can't get through port 123 and talk to the NTP server.

    What I really need is a solution which will work from any internet
    connected network. Are there any simple alternatives that I can
    utilise over port 80? I don't need great accuracy just within a few
    seconds is fine.

    Many Thanks,

    Jamie

  2. Re: Work anywhere time synch

    On 22 Mar, 16:15, "Jamie" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am creating an application which needs to know the current UTC time
    > to within a few seconds. I can use NTP to get the time value from a
    > time server and this works ok most of the time. However when I run
    > within certain networks with restrictive firewalls (typically company
    > networks) I can't get through port 123 and talk to the NTP server.
    >
    > What I really need is a solution which will work from any internet
    > connected network. Are there any simple alternatives that I can
    > utilise over port 80? I don't need great accuracy just within a few
    > seconds is fine.
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    >
    > Jamie

    Jamie

    Symmetricom's DomainTime II software has a DomainTime over HTTP option
    using port 80 for just this problem. Accuracy is impaired compared to
    the DomainTime protocol or NTP, but will easily satisfy your
    requirements. You can get a 30 day trial version from the website at
    http://www.ntp-systems.com/software_...0day_trial.asp
    and give it a go.

    Hope this helps

    STEVE

  3. Re: Work anywhere time synch

    On 2007-03-22, Jamie wrote:

    > What I really need is a solution which will work from any internet
    > connected network. Are there any simple alternatives that I can
    > utilise over port 80? I don't need great accuracy just within a few
    > seconds is fine.

    One (free) solution is "HTTP Time Protocol" at
    http://www.clevervest.com/twiki/bin/view/HTP/WebHome

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  4. Re: Work anywhere time synch

    Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try.

    Jamie

  5. Re: Work anywhere time synch

    > Symmetricom's DomainTime II software has a DomainTime over HTTP option
    > using port 80 for just this problem. Accuracy is impaired compared to
    > the DomainTime protocol or NTP, but will easily satisfy your
    > requirements. You can get a 30 day trial version from the website at
    > http://www.ntp-systems.com/software_...0day_trial.asp
    > and give it a go.

    > One (free) solution is "HTTP Time Protocol" at
    > http://www.clevervest.com/twiki/bin/view/HTP/WebHome

    >Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try.

    Please be very careful. Make sure you have permission
    to use the web server, and make sure that your software
    doesn't get distributed to people who don't understand
    how to drive it.

    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/time/tardis.html
    Tardis is a nice piece of software for synchronising the
    time on Windows PCs to Internet time servers. Unfortunately,
    due to an combination of circumstances, Tardis users of the
    world using the HTTP mode are mounting an unintended attack
    on our web server.