Orphan Mode Configuration - NTP

This is a discussion on Orphan Mode Configuration - NTP ; Here's a working orphan mode configuration using broadcast mode and symmetric keys. The minimal configuration files needed by all orphan mode participants: # /etc/ntp.conf driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift keys /etc/ntp.keys trustedkey 1 tos orphan 5 broadcastclient broadcast key 1 # /etc/ntp.keys 1 ...

  1. Orphan Mode Configuration

    Here's a working orphan mode configuration using broadcast mode and
    symmetric keys.

    The minimal configuration files needed by all orphan mode participants:

    # /etc/ntp.conf
    driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
    keys /etc/ntp.keys
    trustedkey 1
    tos orphan 5
    broadcastclient
    broadcast key 1

    # /etc/ntp.keys
    1 M password

    Notes:

    1. The system that will be polling remote time servers (or a local
    refclock) must be started with those time sources present in ntp.conf

    2. This configuration does not include any access restrictions. Use it
    at your own risk

    3. The file paths are the ones used by my OS; yours may differ

    4. You should use your own key id and password instead of the defaults
    of "1" and "password"

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  2. Re: Orphan Mode Configuration

    On 2007-03-22, Steve Kostecke wrote:

    > broadcastclient
    > broadcast key 1

    My testing this morning revealed that the order of these two
    configuration directives is important. In my tests, orphan mode did not
    work if the order of these directives was reversed.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  3. Orphan Mode Configuration - unicast

    On 2007-03-22, Steve Kostecke wrote:

    Here's a working orphan mode configuration using unicast mode for three
    nodes:

    The minimal configuration files needed for both systems:

    # /etc/ntp.conf - System A (192.168.0.1)
    driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
    tos orphan 5
    server 192.168.0.2 iburst
    server 192.168.0.3 iburst
    server pool.ntp.org iburst
    server pool.ntp.org iburst
    server pool.ntp.org iburst
    server pool.ntp.org iburst

    # /etc/ntp.conf - System B (192.168.0.2)
    driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
    tos orphan 5
    server 192.168.0.1 iburst
    server 192.168.0.3 iburst

    # /etc/ntp.conf - System C (192.168.0.3)
    driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
    tos orphan 5
    server 192.168.0.1 iburst
    server 192.168.0.2 iburst

    Notes:

    1. The system that will be polling remote time servers (or a local
    refclock) must be started with those time sources present in ntp.conf

    2. This configuration does not include any access restrictions. Use it
    at your own risk

    3. The file paths are the ones used by my OS; yours may differ

    4. 'peer' associations may be used instead of 'server' associations

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  4. Re: Orphan Mode Configuration

    Steve Kostecke wrote:
    > On 2007-03-22, Steve Kostecke wrote:
    >
    >> broadcastclient
    >> broadcast key 1

    > My testing this morning revealed that the order of these two
    > configuration directives is important. In my tests, orphan mode did not
    > work if the order of these directives was reversed.

    Yes, I seem to recall Dave saying this. I'm not sure why and I'd need to
    see some debug output to understand what's going on.