Linux-2.6 kernel and ntpd-4.2.0 - NTP

This is a discussion on Linux-2.6 kernel and ntpd-4.2.0 - NTP ; I have # ntpd --version ntpd: ntpd 4.2.0@1.1161-r and Linux kernel 2.6.19.7 with the Trustix-3.05 distribution. I'm having problems with ntpd gaining a lot of time. Are there log files anywhere? ntpdate works fine. I am using one server in ...

  1. Linux-2.6 kernel and ntpd-4.2.0

    I have # ntpd --version
    ntpd: ntpd 4.2.0@1.1161-r

    and Linux kernel 2.6.19.7
    with the Trustix-3.05 distribution.

    I'm having problems with ntpd gaining a lot of time.

    Are there log files anywhere?

    ntpdate works fine.

    I am using one server in /etc/ntp.conf
    0.ca.pool.ntp.org

  2. Re: Linux-2.6 kernel and ntpd-4.2.0

    I've heard of reports of Linux *losing* time rapidly.

    I recommend you visit:

    http://ntp.isc.org/Support/TroubleshootingNTP

    and pay particular attention to the "known hardware issues" and "known
    operating system issues" sections.

  3. Re: Linux-2.6 kernel and ntpd-4.2.0

    Harlan Stenn wrote:
    > I've heard of reports of Linux *losing* time rapidly.
    >
    > I recommend you visit:
    >
    > http://ntp.isc.org/Support/TroubleshootingNTP
    >
    > and pay particular attention to the "known hardware issues" and "known
    > operating system issues" sections.

    Thanks, I will check it out. :-)

    It is 22:10 local time and the computer running ntpd says 1:30 the next day.

  4. Re: Linux-2.6 kernel and ntpd-4.2.0

    Jammer wrote:
    > Harlan Stenn wrote:
    >> I've heard of reports of Linux *losing* time rapidly.
    >>
    >> I recommend you visit:
    >>
    >> http://ntp.isc.org/Support/TroubleshootingNTP
    >>
    >> and pay particular attention to the "known hardware issues" and "known
    >> operating system issues" sections.

    > Thanks, I will check it out. :-)
    >
    > It is 22:10 local time and the computer running ntpd says 1:30 the next
    > day.

    The tool at:
    http://ntp.isc.org/ntpq.php
    sees my ntp so my firewall is correct. :-)

    Any idea what this debug message means:
    addto_syslog: select(): nfound=-1, error: Interrupted system call

  5. Re: Linux-2.6 kernel and ntpd-4.2.0

    >>> In article , Jammer writes:

    Jammer> Any idea what this debug message means: addto_syslog: select():
    Jammer> nfound=-1, error: Interrupted system call

    As I recall it is a low-level debug message that just shows that SIGALARM is
    working.

  6. Re: Linux-2.6 kernel and ntpd-4.2.0

    Jammer wrote:
    > Jammer wrote:
    >> Harlan Stenn wrote:
    >>> I've heard of reports of Linux *losing* time rapidly.
    >>>
    >>> I recommend you visit:
    >>>
    >>> http://ntp.isc.org/Support/TroubleshootingNTP
    >>>
    >>> and pay particular attention to the "known hardware issues" and "known
    >>> operating system issues" sections.

    >> Thanks, I will check it out. :-)
    >>
    >> It is 22:10 local time and the computer running ntpd says 1:30 the next
    >> day.

    > The tool at:
    > http://ntp.isc.org/ntpq.php
    > sees my ntp so my firewall is correct. :-)
    >
    > Any idea what this debug message means:
    > addto_syslog: select(): nfound=-1, error: Interrupted system call

    Ignore it. It's just a debug message. The select times out when it has
    nothing to do. If you turn up debug high enough you will see it.

    Danny

  7. Re: Linux-2.6 kernel and ntpd-4.2.0

    Jammer wrote:
    > Harlan Stenn wrote:
    >
    >> I've heard of reports of Linux *losing* time rapidly.
    >>
    >> I recommend you visit:
    >>
    >> http://ntp.isc.org/Support/TroubleshootingNTP
    >>
    >> and pay particular attention to the "known hardware issues" and "known
    >> operating system issues" sections.

    > Thanks, I will check it out. :-)
    >
    > It is 22:10 local time and the computer running ntpd says 1:30 the next
    > day.

    Conclusion: ntpd is not running! When the error is greater than 1024
    seconds, or about seventeen minutes, ntpd will take a panic exit.

    Suggest starting ntpd with the "-g" option which will cause it to set
    the clock unconditionally. This ensures that you at least START with
    the correct time. Also, make sure that you have configured at least four
    different servers.

    After ntpd has been running for between thirty minutes and one hour, say
    "ntpq -p". Capture the output and post it here.

+ Reply to Thread