howto register ntp server in dns server - NTP

This is a discussion on howto register ntp server in dns server - NTP ; hi, if anybody can tell me how to register ntp server in dns server? using BIND in FreeBSD? in my zone file i put mydomain IN NS ntp.mydomain.net. ntp.mydomain.net. IN A 202.187.22.111 am i right?...

  1. howto register ntp server in dns server

    hi,
    if anybody can tell me how to register ntp server in dns server?
    using BIND in FreeBSD?

    in my zone file i put

    mydomain IN NS ntp.mydomain.net.

    ntp.mydomain.net. IN A 202.187.22.111

    am i right?

  2. Re: howto register ntp server in dns server

    "nurr" wrote in message
    news:1174034916.624151.241520@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...

    > if anybody can tell me how to register ntp server in dns server?
    > using BIND in FreeBSD?
    >
    > in my zone file i put
    >
    > mydomain IN NS ntp.mydomain.net.
    > ntp.mydomain.net. IN A 202.187.22.111
    >
    > am i right?

    No. Being NS is a job for a nameserver, not a timeserver. A and CNAME
    records are free. The (first) domain in the first line is different
    from the one in the second line.

    And I don't know exactly why, but my zone file doesn't seem to need
    the FQDN on every line, just the local name. ...Otherwise, I grudgingly
    admit, that second line looks okay. (-:

    But this is a DNS/BIND question, not an NTP one. If you're confused,
    by all means go read a book about it.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

  3. Re: howto register ntp server in dns server

    news.xs4all.nl wrote:
    > "nurr" wrote in message
    > news:1174034916.624151.241520@o5g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    >> if anybody can tell me how to register ntp server in dns server?
    >> using BIND in FreeBSD?
    >>
    >> in my zone file i put
    >>
    >> mydomain IN NS ntp.mydomain.net.

    This needs to be the Registered Nameserver for the domain. You require
    two different ones to register the domain.

    >> ntp.mydomain.net. IN A 202.187.22.111
    >>
    >> am i right?

    > No. Being NS is a job for a nameserver, not a timeserver. A and CNAME
    > records are free. The (first) domain in the first line is different
    > from the one in the second line.
    >
    > And I don't know exactly why, but my zone file doesn't seem to need
    > the FQDN on every line, just the local name. ...Otherwise, I grudgingly
    > admit, that second line looks okay. (-:

    It's not necessary to qualify the label with the domain name. The DNS
    server will do that for you. It makes maintenance much easier. If you
    put in a FQDN and it's not in the zone you will get an out-of-zone error.

    > But this is a DNS/BIND question, not an NTP one. If you're confused,
    > by all means go read a book about it.

    Agreed.