"right" time zones - NTP

This is a discussion on "right" time zones - NTP ; i understand the timezones contain in /usr/share/zoneinfo/right respect leap second, so if one were to use the utc in the "right" directory, the time show on his system would be 23 seconds behind than the other utc (/usr/share/zoneinfo/utc) whould show. ...

  1. "right" time zones

    i understand the timezones contain in /usr/share/zoneinfo/right respect
    leap second, so if one were to use the utc in the "right" directory, the
    time show on his system would be 23 seconds behind than the other utc
    (/usr/share/zoneinfo/utc) whould show.

    my question is why would anyone wnat to use those right timezones? all the
    clocks in the civilian real world from stock markets to street corners
    synchronize to the non-peap time, are there applications that really need
    to use the clock that respect the leap seconds? maybe atomic weapons or
    space shuttles?

  2. Re: "right" time zones

    In article ,
    wrote:
    >my question is why would anyone wnat to use those right timezones?

    If you modified ntpd to call posix2time() and time2posix() in the
    right places when computing offsets, and disabled ntp's leap-second
    handling, your system would actually show the correct time around leap
    seconds rather than the wrong time required by POSIX.

    Since nobody does this, many vendors do not ship the leap-second
    cognizant data files. We disabled this in FreeBSD more than a decade
    ago.

    -GAWollman

    --
    Garrett A. Wollman | The real tragedy of human existence is not that we are
    wollman@csail.mit.edu| nasty by nature, but that a cruel structural asymmetry

  3. Re: "right" time zones

    lliks@labogcbs.net writes:
    > i understand the timezones contain in /usr/share/zoneinfo/right respect
    > leap second, so if one were to use the utc in the "right" directory, the
    > time show on his system would be 23 seconds behind than the other utc
    > (/usr/share/zoneinfo/utc) whould show.

    Google for "bernstein tai" to see the history (and bitter arguments)
    around having leap seconds "jump" the low-level timekeeping mechanism
    vs. having leap seconds added later on during the display routine's
    formatting of the "civil" time.

    http://cr.yp.to/proto/utctai.html

    -wolfgang