TZ var not working with ntp time server - NTP

This is a discussion on TZ var not working with ntp time server - NTP ; I'm in the Newfoundland timezone and exporting the TZ variable to "Canada/Newfoundland" then restarting the ntpd process keeps my clock one hour before the actual time. Is there a problem since the Day Light Savings came into affect the other ...

  1. TZ var not working with ntp time server

    I'm in the Newfoundland timezone and exporting the TZ variable to
    "Canada/Newfoundland" then restarting the ntpd process keeps my clock
    one hour before the actual time.

    Is there a problem since the Day Light Savings came into affect the
    other day? My computer's time has been an hour behind ever since.

    My ntp.conf:
    server time.nrc.ca
    driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift/ntp.drift
    logconfig =syncevents +peerevents +sysevents +allclock
    logfile /var/log/ntp

    My TZ variable:
    TZ=Canada/Newfoundland

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: TZ var not working with ntp time server

    wrote in message
    news:1173732812.225330.39600@p10g2000cwp.googlegro ups.com...
    > I'm in the Newfoundland timezone and exporting the TZ variable to
    > "Canada/Newfoundland" then restarting the ntpd process keeps my clock
    > one hour before the actual time.
    >
    > Is there a problem since the Day Light Savings came into affect the
    > other day? My computer's time has been an hour behind ever since.
    >
    > My ntp.conf:
    > server time.nrc.ca
    > driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift/ntp.drift
    > logconfig =syncevents +peerevents +sysevents +allclock
    > logfile /var/log/ntp
    >
    > My TZ variable:
    > TZ=Canada/Newfoundland
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    It wouldn't surprise me. I had to tell my Windoze machine it's in Arizona
    in order for it to show a correct UTC offset (I'm actually in California).

    Brian

  3. Re: TZ var not working with ntp time server

    craigwharding@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm in the Newfoundland timezone and exporting the TZ variable to
    > "Canada/Newfoundland" then restarting the ntpd process keeps my clock
    > one hour before the actual time.

    > Is there a problem since the Day Light Savings came into affect the
    > other day? My computer's time has been an hour behind ever since.

    Perhaps your computer's understanding of what 'Canada/Newfoundland'
    means is not up to date.

    I believe that you should be 2.5 hours behind UTC at this point.

    Do a 'date -u' and see if that is accurately reflecting UTC. That's all
    that NTP will do. If 'date -u' is correct and 'date' is incorrect, then
    your computer's timezone definitions are out-of-date.

    Update them with whatever method is correct for your OS.

    > My TZ variable:
    > TZ=Canada/Newfoundland

    Running
    'zdump -v Canada/Newfoundland | grep 2007'
    on your computer may also be illuminating, but has nothing to do with
    NTP.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  4. Re: TZ var not working with ntp time server

    > From: craigwharding@gmail.com
    > Date: 12 Mar 2007 13:53:32 -0700
    > Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net@lists.ntp.isc.org
    >
    > I'm in the Newfoundland timezone and exporting the TZ variable to
    > "Canada/Newfoundland" then restarting the ntpd process keeps my clock
    > one hour before the actual time.
    >
    > Is there a problem since the Day Light Savings came into affect the
    > other day? My computer's time has been an hour behind ever since.
    >
    > My ntp.conf:
    > server time.nrc.ca
    > driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift/ntp.drift
    > logconfig =syncevents +peerevents +sysevents +allclock
    > logfile /var/log/ntp
    >
    > My TZ variable:
    > TZ=Canada/Newfoundland

    It's getting a bit boring to see this posted again and again, but NTP has
    no idea about time zones, daylight saving time, or anything except
    UTC. If you system is 1 hour off, i is an issue with your local
    zonefiles not having been updated to know about the change in the start
    of DST.

    You need to load the latest zonefiles onto your system, use zic to
    compile them and install them as is appropriate to your OS. (I have no
    idea what that might be, although it looks like some Unix like OS.)

    All together now: ntp does not do time zones.
    --
    R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
    Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

  5. Re: TZ var not working with ntp time server

    craigwharding@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm in the Newfoundland timezone and exporting the TZ variable to
    > "Canada/Newfoundland" then restarting the ntpd process

    HOLD IT right there!

    ntpd is not interested at all in any TZ variable.
    Please leave the poor deamon alone.

  6. Re: TZ var not working with ntp time server

    On 12 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.time.ntp, in article
    <1173732812.225330.39600@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.c om>,
    craigwharding@gmail.com wrote:

    >I'm in the Newfoundland timezone and exporting the TZ variable to
    >"Canada/Newfoundland"

    which is the wrong syntax for TZ - but you didn't read 'man 3 tzset'
    among other things.

    >then restarting the ntpd process keeps my clock one hour before the
    >actual time.

    And as others have pointed out - NTP has nothing to do with time zones
    or Daylight Saving Time - NTP is UTC. END OF DISCUSSION ABOUT NTP
    AND TIME ZONES.

    >Is there a problem since the Day Light Savings came into affect the
    >other day? My computer's time has been an hour behind ever since.

    You don't bother identifying the operating system which looks like
    Linux, and if so, what distribution and release. ALL Linux distributions
    provided updated timezone files for their supported releases nine months
    ago - and if you feel that keeping releases up to date is not important
    why are you bothering about it NOW? If all else fails use the search
    engine you are posting from to locate one of the hundreds of thousands
    of threads in Usenet where people suddenly discover that the timezones
    have changed, then go to ftp server at elsie.nci.nih.gov and get the
    files from the /pub/ directory - you want BOTH

    -rw-r--r-- 1 8800 0 189109 Feb 26 14:09 tzcode2007c.tar.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 8800 0 158198 Feb 26 14:09 tzdata2007c.tar.gz

    >My TZ variable:
    >TZ=Canada/Newfoundland

    man 3 tzset

    Old guy