PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34 - NTP

This is a discussion on PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34 - NTP ; All, I've been having tons of trouble getting the PPSAPI to work under Linux 2.4.34. I've applied the 2.4.32 patches, recompiled the kernel and ntpd, and have reached the stage where ntpdc -c kern shows nano as one of the ...

  1. PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34

    All,

    I've been having tons of trouble getting the PPSAPI to work under Linux
    2.4.34. I've applied the 2.4.32 patches, recompiled the kernel and ntpd,
    and have reached the stage where ntpdc -c kern shows nano as one of the
    status flags.

    I have however just noticed that the serial driver was probably not
    being compiled with the right options, because if it is compiled as a
    module CONFIG_NTP_PPS_SERIAL if #undef'd, whereas
    CONFIG_NTP_PPS_SERIAL_MODULE is #defined instead. I _think_ that this
    causes serial.c to skip all of the PPS code (and indeed: the serial
    driver startup line in /var/log/messages does not show the PPSAPI flag).

    Morale: if you need PPS support don't compile the serial driver as a module.

    Cheers, Jan

  2. Re: PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34

    Jan Ceuleers wrote:
    > Morale: if you need PPS support don't compile the serial driver as a
    > module.

    Now confirmed: PPSAPI works under 2.4.34 if the serial driver is
    compiled into the body of the kernel rather than as a module.

    (I would add this to the twiki but the website seems to be
    malfunctioning at the moment).

    Cheers, Jan

  3. Re: PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34

    On 2007-03-11, Jan Ceuleers wrote:

    > Jan Ceuleers wrote:
    >
    > (I would add this to the twiki but the website seems to be
    > malfunctioning at the moment).

    The web-site is still up.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  4. Re: PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34

    Steve Kostecke wrote:
    > On 2007-03-11, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
    >
    >> Jan Ceuleers wrote:
    >>
    >> (I would add this to the twiki but the website seems to be
    >> malfunctioning at the moment).

    > The web-site is still up.

    Performance is abysmal though. Response times upwards of one minute.
    (The problem is not on my end; other sites are working fine).

    Also: I've forgotten my password and getting it reset seems to require
    human intervention (the thing won't email my current password to me).

    Sorry, but I can't be bothered to deal with that.

  5. Retting your password (Was: Re: PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34)

    On 2007-03-11, Jan Ceuleers wrote:

    > I've forgotten my password and getting it reset seems to require human
    > intervention (the thing won't email my current password to me).

    This is no longer the case.

    Please visit http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/TWiki/ResetPassword to
    request a password reset. You will receive an e-mail with your new,
    system-generated password, and a link to a page where you can change it.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  6. Re: PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34

    Jan Ceuleers wrote:
    > Jan Ceuleers wrote:
    >> Morale: if you need PPS support don't compile the serial driver as a
    >> module.

    > Now confirmed: PPSAPI works under 2.4.34 if the serial driver is
    > compiled into the body of the kernel rather than as a module.

    After Steve helped me reset my password I have added the above to
    https://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/KnownOsIssues .

  7. Re: PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34

    Jan,

    Jan Ceuleers wrote:
    > I have however just noticed that the serial driver was probably not
    > being compiled with the right options, because if it is compiled as a
    > module CONFIG_NTP_PPS_SERIAL if #undef'd, whereas
    > CONFIG_NTP_PPS_SERIAL_MODULE is #defined instead. I _think_ that this
    > causes serial.c to skip all of the PPS code (and indeed: the serial
    > driver startup line in /var/log/messages does not show the PPSAPI flag).
    >
    > Morale: if you need PPS support don't compile the serial driver as a
    > module.

    maybe Ulrich could fix this in the PPSkit?

    Martin
    --
    Martin Burnicki

    Meinberg Funkuhren
    Bad Pyrmont
    Germany

  8. Re: PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34

    Jan Ceuleers writes:

    > Morale: if you need PPS support don't compile the serial driver as a module.

    Not true, I had the serial module all the time.

    Ulrich

  9. Re: PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34

    Ulrich,

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > Jan Ceuleers writes:
    >
    >> Morale: if you need PPS support don't compile the serial driver as a module.

    > Not true, I had the serial module all the time.

    I can't reproduce the problem right now, but I assure you that I haven't
    made it up.

    I will roll back the blurb that I wrote on the twiki, at least until we
    get to the bottom of this.

    Cheers, Jan

+ Reply to Thread