howto setup server and client server - NTP

This is a discussion on howto setup server and client server - NTP ; hi, I'm the new in NTP. Can please anybody give me the guide how to setup ntp server and client?...

  1. howto setup server and client server

    hi,

    I'm the new in NTP. Can please anybody give me the guide how to
    setup ntp server and client?

  2. Re: howto setup server and client server

    There is a bunch of information on how to set up your NTP 'newtork' at
    http://ntp.isc.org/Support .

  3. Re: howto setup server and client server

    nurr wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I'm the new in NTP. Can please anybody give me the guide how to
    > setup ntp server and client?

    Start here: http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/GettingStarted

    After that, if you still have questions come back here and ask.

    Danny

  4. Re: howto setup server and client server

    On 2007-03-11, nurr wrote:

    > I'm the new in NTP. Can please anybody give me the guide how to setup
    > ntp server and client?

    What you need to do depends on what you want to accomplish and what you
    have to work with.

    --
    Steve Kostecke

  5. Re: howto setup server and client server

    On 11 Mar, 11:51, m...@ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
    > nurr wrote:
    > > hi,

    > > I'm the new in NTP. Can please anybody give me the guide how to
    > > setup ntp server and client?

    > Start here:http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/GettingStarted
    >
    > After that, if you still have questions come back here and ask.
    >
    > Danny

    thanks. I tried to configure my ntp server (actually on IPv6--- dual
    stack network) Below are my /etc/ntp.conf (I'm using FreeBSD).

    ntpdate_enable="YES"
    xntpd_enable="YES"
    xntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g -N high"

    where as in /etc/ntp.conf my contens are as below:

    driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
    server ntp.hexago.com
    server ntp6.remco.org
    server ntp.rhrk.uni-kl.de

    when i tried to start ntp by using coomand ntpd -c peers, the result
    displayed :
    # ntpdc -c peers
    ***Server reports data not found
    #

    please help. and what i should do for clients.

  6. ***SPAM*** Re: howto setup server and client server

    nurr wrote:
    > On 11 Mar, 11:51, m...@ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
    >> nurr wrote:
    >>> hi,
    >>> I'm the new in NTP. Can please anybody give me the guide how to
    >>> setup ntp server and client?

    >> Start here:http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/GettingStarted
    >>
    >> After that, if you still have questions come back here and ask.
    >>
    >> Danny

    > thanks. I tried to configure my ntp server (actually on IPv6--- dual
    > stack network) Below are my /etc/ntp.conf (I'm using FreeBSD).
    >
    > ntpdate_enable="YES"
    > xntpd_enable="YES"
    > xntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g -N high"
    >
    > where as in /etc/ntp.conf my contens are as below:
    >
    > driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
    > server ntp.hexago.com
    > server ntp6.remco.org
    > server ntp.rhrk.uni-kl.de
    >

    > when i tried to start ntp by using coomand ntpd -c peers, the result
    > displayed :
    > # ntpdc -c peers
    > ***Server reports data not found
    > #

    Add iburst to each of the server lines, that will get quick
    synchronization. Do you have a firewall and is it allowing packets
    to/from 123/UDP?

    What's your O/S and what version on ntpd are you running? ntpq -c rv
    will tell you that. Also use ntpq -p to see the list of servers rather
    than using ntpdc. Wait 20 minutes before interrogating your server for
    synchronization. Also, use dig to make sure that you can find the
    servers. These look like they are a mixture of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
    so you need to make sure not only that your firewall supports IPv6 but
    also your ISP does too. Not all provides know about IPv6!

    Danny

  7. Re: howto setup server and client server

    >>> In article <1173592892.300398.103260@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>, "nurr" writes:

    nurr> when i tried to start ntp by using coomand ntpd -c peers, the result
    nurr> displayed:
    nurr> # ntpdc -c peers
    nurr> ***Server reports data not found
    nurr> #

    Try 'ntpq -p' instead.

  8. Re: howto setup server and client server

    On 2007-03-11, nurr wrote:

    > when i tried to start ntp by using coomand ntpd[c] -c peers,

    That's not how you start ntpd.

    Look for, and use, the ntpd init script in /etc/rc.d/ or
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ to start ntpd

    Then you can use 'ntpq -p' to view the peer status billboard.

    --
    Steve Kostecke