NTP Question - NTP

This is a discussion on NTP Question - NTP ; I have a Relay which is connected to the windows server, i want to synchronize the clock of the relay with the clock of the widnows , so i did following 1- i started windows time service 2- made registery ...

  1. NTP Question

    I have a Relay which is connected to the windows server, i want to
    synchronize the clock of the relay with the clock of the widnows , so i did
    following

    1- i started windows time service
    2- made registery changes for the w32tm , to make the windows Local NTP
    Server
    3- made changes in ntp.conf for extinguishing peers and the ntp server

    1-is that all to make the for synchronizing the two clock systems?
    2- how can force the synchronisation to be done by a command?
    3- how can i reduce the time interval of synchronisation ?

    thanks

  2. ***SPAM*** Re: NTP Question

    Nooshin Madjdi wrote:
    > I have a Relay which is connected to the windows server, i want to
    > synchronize the clock of the relay with the clock of the widnows , so i did
    > following
    >
    > 1- i started windows time service
    > 2- made registery changes for the w32tm , to make the windows Local NTP
    > Server
    > 3- made changes in ntp.conf for extinguishing peers and the ntp server
    >
    > 1-is that all to make the for synchronizing the two clock systems?
    > 2- how can force the synchronisation to be done by a command?
    > 3- how can i reduce the time interval of synchronisation ?
    >
    > thanks

    You shouldn't be using w32tm for this. Instead of doing this as it's not
    a proper NTP server, install the Windows version of ntpd and configure
    the ntp.conf file the way you need it.

    You cannot "force" synchronization. You can speed things up by using
    iburst on the server lines and start the service with the -g option.

    Danny

  3. Re: NTP Question

    Hi
    Thanks for your help

    ok i did so,which i should confess that ntpd was installed by Relay
    Application. now i have this problem

    the clock of the Relay is Set to
    GMT +3:00
    but i live in a country which time is GMT +3:30 , so the time of windows is
    GMT +3:30 , i have set the ntp.conf so the relay should sunchroize itself
    with time of windows ,which doesn't, Relay always have 30 minutes down the
    actual time. if i set the windows clock to GMT +3:00 , so everything is
    fine, but i am in GMT +3:30 , does NTP client gets the actual time or just
    the Base time of GMT?

    and one more question, do you any sites which i can get help on commands
    used in ntp.conf. i saw the ntp.org but couldn't find any specific document
    on that subject.

    Thanks

    >From: Danny Mayer
    >To: Nooshin Madjdi
    >CC: questions@lists.ntp.isc.org
    >Subject: Re: [ntp:questions] NTP Question
    >Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 21:18:42 -0500
    >
    >Nooshin Madjdi wrote:
    > > I have a Relay which is connected to the windows server, i want to
    > > synchronize the clock of the relay with the clock of the widnows , so i

    >did
    > > following
    > >
    > > 1- i started windows time service
    > > 2- made registery changes for the w32tm , to make the windows Local NTP
    > > Server
    > > 3- made changes in ntp.conf for extinguishing peers and the ntp server
    > >
    > > 1-is that all to make the for synchronizing the two clock systems?
    > > 2- how can force the synchronisation to be done by a command?
    > > 3- how can i reduce the time interval of synchronisation ?
    > >
    > > thanks

    >You shouldn't be using w32tm for this. Instead of doing this as it's not
    >a proper NTP server, install the Windows version of ntpd and configure
    >the ntp.conf file the way you need it.
    >
    >You cannot "force" synchronization. You can speed things up by using
    >iburst on the server lines and start the service with the -g option.
    >
    >Danny

  4. Re: NTP Question

    Nooshin Madjdi wrote:
    > Hi
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > ok i did so,which i should confess that ntpd was installed by Relay
    > Application. now i have this problem
    >
    > the clock of the Relay is Set to
    > GMT +3:00
    > but i live in a country which time is GMT +3:30 , so the time of windows is
    > GMT +3:30 , i have set the ntp.conf so the relay should sunchroize itself
    > with time of windows ,which doesn't, Relay always have 30 minutes down the
    > actual time. if i set the windows clock to GMT +3:00 , so everything is
    > fine, but i am in GMT +3:30 , does NTP client gets the actual time or just
    > the Base time of GMT?
    >
    > and one more question, do you any sites which i can get help on commands
    > used in ntp.conf. i saw the ntp.org but couldn't find any specific document
    > on that subject.

    NTP does not deal with time zones at all! It synchronizes your clock to
    UTC (formerly known as GMT). Getting your O/S to display the local time
    is a matter of setting the correct time zone. If your O/S does not
    provide support for your local zone then you need to: get it fixed, get
    a better O/S, relocate to a more "standard" time zone, or learn to live
    with the problem.

  5. Re: NTP Question

    Nooshin Madjdi wrote:
    []
    > ok i did so,which i should confess that ntpd was installed by Relay
    > Application. now i have this problem
    >
    > the clock of the Relay is Set to
    > GMT +3:00
    > but i live in a country which time is GMT +3:30 , so the time of
    > windows is GMT +3:30 , i have set the ntp.conf so the relay should
    > sunchroize itself with time of windows ,which doesn't, Relay always
    > have 30 minutes down the actual time. if i set the windows clock to
    > GMT +3:00 , so everything is fine, but i am in GMT +3:30 , does NTP
    > client gets the actual time or just the Base time of GMT?

    []
    > Thanks

    In addition to what Richard has said, if you are using Windows you can
    alter almost all of the time zone settings for Windows with the Time Zone
    Editor.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/d...oy/Default.asp

    Caveat: I have not checked this on Windows after NT4, but it should be OK.
    Be sure to backup your registry if you are uncertain about using this
    tool.

    Cheers,
    David

  6. Re: NTP Question

    On 11 Mrz., 08:33, nooshi...@hotmail.com (Nooshin Madjdi) wrote:

    > and one more question, do you any sites which i can get help on commands
    > used in ntp.conf. i saw the ntp.org but couldn't find any specific document
    > on that subject.

    Take a look at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/confopt.html
    and http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/miscopt.html.

    Paul